Tired of your old router? Or shifting to a new two-story house? No matter what the reason is, a high-quality long-range router can make your life a lot easier. Especially in this time of a global pandemic. But picking the best router for two story house is not an easy task. Why?
Well, not all expensive routers are best for long-range. Moreover, there are hundreds of products to choose from. Confused? Don’t be. Because we understand both wifi routers and this hassle of finding a new router. So, we have made the perfect list for you with comparison charts, real-time user reviews, things to consider, and FAQs. This can save you a ton of time. So, stay tuned to this article
- What are the best Wifi routers for a 2 story house?
- Comparison Chart
- Best Router For Two Story House In 2022
- 1. Best Router for Double Storey House: TP-Link AC5400 Tri-Band WiFi Gaming Router
- 2. Best Router For Old House With Thick Walls: NETGEAR Orbi Tri-band Whole Home Mesh WiFi System
- 3. Best Router For Duplex House: Google Nest Wifi 2 Pack
- 4. Best Router For 2500 sq ft House: NETGEAR Nighthawk 8-Stream AX8 Wifi 6 Router
- 5. Best Wifi 6 Router for 2 Story House: ASUS WiFi 6 Router (RT-AX3000)
- 6. Best Router For 1500 sq ft. House: ASUS AC1300 WiFi Router (RT-ACRH13)
- 7.Best Budget Router for 2 Story House: TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
- Things To Remember Before Buying A Wifi Router For A Two Story House- Buying Guide
- Editors Pick
What are the best Wifi routers for a 2 story house?
Now let’s have a quick comparison between our products.
For this comparison, we will consider only some basic features of a long-range router. This quick comparison will help you to choose some products before going in-depth into them.
|TP-Link AC5400 Tri Band WiFi Router(Archer C5400X)||TP-Link AC5400 Tri Band WiFi Router(Archer C5400X)||MU-MIMO Wireless Router, 1.8GHz Quad-Core 64-bit CPU, Game First Priority, Link Aggregation, 16GB Storage, Airtime Fairness||
||Check On Amazon|
|NETGEAR Orbi Tri-band||NETGEAR Orbi Tri-band||Mesh WiFi System with 3Gbps Speed (RBK50) – Router & Extender Replacement Covers Up to 5,000 sq. ft., 2-Pack Includes 1 Router & 1 Satellite White||
||Check On Amazon|
|Google Nest Wifi||Google Nest Wifi||AC2200 – Mesh WiFi System – Wifi Router – 4400 Sq Ft Coverage – 2 pack||
||Check On Amazon|
|NETGEAR Nighthawk 8-Stream AX8 Wifi 6 Router||NETGEAR Nighthawk 8-Stream AX8 Wifi 6 Router||AX6000 Wireless Speed (Up to 6 Gbps) | 2,500 sq. ft. Coverage||
||Check On Amazon|
|ASUS WiFi 6 Router (RT-AX3000)||ASUS WiFi 6 Router (RT-AX3000)||Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Internet Router, Gaming & Streaming, AiMesh Compatible, Included Lifetime Internet Security, Parental Control, MU-MIMO, OFDMA||
||Check On Amazon|
|ASUS AC1300 WiFi Router (RT-ACRH13)||ASUS AC1300 WiFi Router (RT-ACRH13)||Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Router, 4 GB Ports, USB 3.0 Port, Gaming & Streaming, Easy Setup, Parental Control, MU-MIMO||
||Check On Amazon|
|TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router (Archer A7)||TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router (Archer A7)||Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Internet Router for Home, Works with Alexa, VPN Server, Parental Control, QoS||
||Check On Amazon|
Now, let’s dig deep and find out the best wifi router for your 2 story house.
Best Router For Two Story House In 2022
As an IT professional, routers fascinate me. All of these products are chosen from personal experience, good user reviews, testing, and months of research.
- Cutting edge 1.8 GHz 64 bit Quad-core CPU with 1GB RAM.
- RangeBoost and Beamboost feature to keep all your devices connected at a long distance.
- Tri-Band wifi system with one 2.4GHz(up to 1000 Mbps) and two 5 GHz (up to 2167Mbps). Among these three bands, one band is specially dedicated to gaming.
- Optimized MU-MIMO and Airtime Fairness feature to make the maximum total throughput and response rates.
- Free Advance security and optimization features allow you to have top-notch ani-virus, parental control, QoS, and the lowest latency possible.
TP-Link AC5400 Tri-Band WiFi Gaming Router has won the JP power award two times for best in customer satisfaction. It hasn’t got these awards from gimmicky features. This is best router for double storey house
AC5400 has a futuristic design with non-adjustable 8 antennas. Its bulky size is not suitable for every corner of your house. But it has an advanced web console design with a lot of customizable options.
From our test units, we have found impressive stability and rock-solid connection even if we are at the edge of our 2 story 4500 sq ft. studio. AC5400’s impressive RangeBoost and Beam Boost features make it the best router for double storey house. We have tested it from every angle. The gigabit speed was always stable with low latency. That’s why this long-range router is great for gaming and heavy use.
The TP-Link AC5400 is not only stable but well secured too. This router’s premium security feature keeps your network always secured. So, you never need to worry about privacy issues.
But no product is perfect. So, let’s look at some of its pros and cons from our testing.
So, if you are a heavy user looking for a long-range router, then this might be your best choice. Otherwise, AC5400 can be overkill.
2. Best Router For Old House With Thick Walls: NETGEAR Orbi Tri-band Whole Home Mesh WiFi System
NETGEAR Orbi Tri-band Whole Home Mesh WiFi System
- Max Range 5000 sq ft.
- 3000 Mbps
- Total 7 Port
- Tri-band supporting both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.
- Ture Mesh Technology allows you to use the same network with 2 different satellites supporting 25+ devices and coverage up to 5000 sq ft.
- Dedicated triband system. One band for the connection between router and satellites. The other 2 powerful bands are for stable but fast speed usage.
- Compatible with any kind of ISP cat6, satellite, fiber, DSL.
- Parental control and 30 days free trial for Bit-defender- a leading internet security company of Netgear.
- Filled with Smart features like MU-MIMO, beamforming, and smart connect. Built-in Guest WiFi system, DoS, Firewall, VPN, and many other premium features.
NETGEAR Orbi Tri-band Mesh WiFi System is the premium choice for a large 2 story house. Its tri-band mesh technology covers every corner of your house. if you have 3 stories large home don’t forget to check our article best router for 3 story house
Orbi Tri-band has a bulky but aesthetic design. Every satellite has a dimension of 6.4 x 3.1 x 8 inches. Moreover, It has a smart LED system that indicates network status. If the LEDs are blue, then your connection is strong. The lights become amber when the connection is weak. When the connection is gone, the LEDs become magenta.
From the performance perspective, our test unit NETGEAR Orbi Tri-band was a beast of a router. In some way, we have battle-tested this router ,and it has passed it all.
The range of this router is quite satisfying. With the beamforming technology, it had given us strong signals even when we were at the parking of our 4000 sq ft. studio. We have tested the stability and connection speed from every corner of our 2 story studio. It gives a positive result from everywhere. But the connection speed decreases a bit with distance.
So, This router can be the best router for your old two-story house with thick walls.
3. Best Router For Duplex House: Google Nest Wifi 2 Pack
Google Nest Wifi 2 Pack
- Max Range upto 4400 sq ft.
- Max Speed 2200 Mbps
- Bands-dual band
- 2 Gigabit port(LAN, WAN), 1 charger port
- Mesh Wifi system allows you to have a stable connection at every corner of your house. One wifi pack works as the main router ,and the other one works as the wifi signal extender. Gives coverage up to 4400 sq ft.
- A strong and flexible wifi system allows you to connect up to 200+ devices with stable connection speed.
- Google’s smart software integration detects network priority areas and provides smart support. Auto firmware and feature update feature keep you out of any hassle of updating.
- Easy setup, guest network setup, and parental control with just one app.
- Can be used as an intercom and works as a google assistant and speaker too.
Google Nest Wifi 2 Pack is the perfect smart wifi system for long-range. It also works as a smart speaker too.
Nest wifi 2 pack has an aesthetically beautiful design. Its design is similar to google home mini. Both the router and extender have one small LED.
From our intense testing, we have found this futuristic router reliable and smarter than any of its competitors.
Google is known for its reliability and smart software integration. The Nest wifi system is no different. It’s simple yet significant at this price point.
We have used this product for 2 weeks. We set the main router on our ground floor and the extender on the top floor. To our surprise, we loved the smart system. We used it as an intercom and smart assistant too. The speakers were quite decent and clear in terms of sound.
The range of this smart router is quite significant. Its smart software integration detects where the signal is needed and works accordingly. Even when walking from one floor two another, we got strong signals.
So, Google Nest Wifi 2 Pack can be the best choice for your duplex house. Its smart features are good for families with children.
4. Best Router For 2500 sq ft House: NETGEAR Nighthawk 8-Stream AX8 Wifi 6 Router
NETGEAR Nighthawk 8-Stream AX8 Wifi 6 Router
- Max Range up to 2500 sq ft.
- Wireless Speed (Up to 6 Gbps)
- Wifi 6 technology allows you to have super fast speed up to 6 Gbps with uninterrupted streaming capabilities. Up to 50 device support.
- Compatible with every type of ISP. Cat-6, Fiber, DSL, and many more.
- 2 USB 3.0 ports allow you to make your own cloud server with blazing speed.
- Smart parental control and Internet Security features allow you to have a secured network for your family.
- Filled with cutting-edge features like OFDMA, MU-MIMO, Dynamic QoS, 1024-QAM, Beamforming technologies, and Amazon Alexa Voice Control.
NETGEAR Nighthawk 8-Stream AX8 Wifi 6 Router is a futuristic product. It’s unbeatable specs and fast speed makes it the perfect candidate for your 2500 sq ft. 2 story house.
Frankly speaking, the slick and sharp design makes AX8 look like a spaceship. It has a rubber coating around its body. Its design makes it perfect to place it anywhere in the house.
We have tested hundreds of routers in our studio. But never found something as fast as Nighthawk 8-Stream AX8 Wifi 6. Its blazing fast speed goes with its spaceship design.
Nighthawk 8-Stream has passed all our tests with good numbers. However, its range is not for our 4000 sq feet studio. It loses connection speed with distance. But it works fine up to 2500 sq feet. During our testing, almost 40+ devices were connected. All of them got the same super-fast speed.
We have also created our own cloud server with this router and the transfer speed was as fast as the wifi speed. Moreover, the other advanced features were decent too.
ASUS WiFi 6 Router (RT-AX3000)
- Max range 3000 sq ft.
- 3000 Mbps
- Parental Control
- Included Lifetime Internet Security
- Future proof wifi 6 technology delivers up to 2.7x speed than the previous generation. It also has OFDMA and MU-MIMO technology built-in.
- Supports 160 MHz bandwidth and 1024-QAM. Boosting the network speed to 575 Mbps for 2.4 GHz and 2420 GHz for the 5 GHz band.
- RT-AX3000 supports Aimesh technology. It helps to create even a stronger mesh connection with other ASUS routers with Aimesh.
- Free commercial-grade security and strong parental control protect your family from cyber threats and privacy violations.
- Easy setup and configuration with just one mobile app.
ASUS WiFi 6 Router (RT-AX3000) is a value-for-money product and its the best wifi 6 router for 2 story house. At this price point, this router’s features and long-range capabilities are unbeatable.
RT-AX3000 is another classic design router. But its sharp edges and slick design make it look more aggressive. AX3000 has 4 adjustable antennas and 8 LEDs on the front to show different connection status.
We have tested a lot of ASUS products before. But never seen anything like this. ASUS makes a lot of premium products targeting gamers. Yet RT-AX3000 is affordable with great features.
We used the ASUS WiFi 6 Router (RT-AX3000) for almost 6 weeks as our studio’s main router. It didn’t disappoint us. Its strong wifi 6 technology has provided a stable connection for almost our 30 devices. It was placed on the ground floor, in the middle of our studio. Yet it delivered strong network support to the 2nd floor!
But we have experienced slow speed after the range of 2800 sq ft. Its Gigabit LAN and WAN ports deliver what ASUS promised. This router’s USB 3.1 port is blazing fast in terms of file transfer.
RT-AX3000’s smart security features amazed us the most. It’s enough cybersecurity for a family. Finally if you want to plan purchase wifi 6 router it will be the best wifi 6 router for 2 story house
6. Best Router For 1500 sq ft. House: ASUS AC1300 WiFi Router (RT-ACRH13)
ASUS AC1300 WiFi Router (RT-ACRH13)
- 64 bit WEP, 128 bit WEP, WPA2 PSK, WPA PSK, WPA Enterprise, WPS support
- Total 5 Port
- Dual-Band with 2×2 MU MIMO technology provides up to 1275 Mbps speed.
- 5dBi 4 adjustable antennas for good range and multi-device performance.
- Quick setup and easily customizable options with ASUS router app.
- One superfast USB 3.0 port allows you to transfer files at high speed.
|Security Protocols||64 bit WEP, 128 bit WEP, WPA2 PSK, WPA PSK, WPA Enterprise, WPS support|
ASUS AC1300 WiFi Router (RT-ACRH13) is one of the most affordable routers on this list. Yet it can support a two-story 1500 sq feet house.
ASUS AC1300 has a classic yet unique design. It has four adjustable antennas and the USB 3.0 port is placed on the front side. This USB port placement has an impact on both aesthetics and user-friendliness.
ASUS AC1300 WiFi Router (RT-ACRH13) is one of the most budget-friendly models available on the market. But ASUS did not compromise on the performance.
We have tested the AC1300 WiFi Router for one week. The results were significant at this price point.
We have pushed its limits. But AC1300 provided a positive vibe. It gave a stable connection to almost 15 devices. To our surprise, we have got a decent connection on the second floor too. Moreover, the USB 3.0 port provided fast file transfer among the connected devices.
So, this can be your router if you are an average user having a small family and 1500 sq ft house.
- Dual-Band Wifi system with 2.4 GHz( speed up to 450 Mbps) and 5 GHz ( speed up to 1300 Mbps).
- Compatible with wifi 802.11ac and all older wifi devices. Great for smart home devices like Amazon Alexa.
- 4 Gigabit LAN ports allow you to access multiple wired devices fast. It also supports WAN, MAC Clone, and IPTV.
- Integrated USB port for file sharing with decent data transfer rate.
- 2-year free technical support.
|Wireless Type||802.11n, 802.11b, 802.11ac, 802.11g|
|Security Protocols||WEP, WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK|
TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router has won the JP power award for highest in customer satisfaction in 2017 and 2019. It’s a relatively old router. But it is still unbeatable at its best budget router for 2 story house
TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router has a classic design with 3 adjustable antennas. Because of its compact, you can place it anywhere you want. AC1750’s web console has an older design than its competitors.
We have tested TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router in our studio for quite a time. The results amazed us. It almost delivers what Tp-Link promises.
Both of the 2.4Ghz and 5GHz bands were working fine and delivering close to advertised speeds. It has shown a stable connection up to 2000 sq ft. AC1750 also delivered a stable connection on your 2nd floor. That was quite a surprise for us.
We have tested all the LAN, WAN, MAC Clone, and IPTV. It delivers up to 920 Mbps speed. Moreover, TP-Link AC1750 has also given us fascinating results with smart home appliances like Alexa.
So, it can be your Best Budget Router for 2 Story House
This can be the ideal choice for your two-story house if you have a 1500-2000 sq ft. 2 story apartment and a small family.
These are our 7 best hand-picked routers for a two-story house. But there are also many quality routers that are not mentioned in this list. So, we are also providing a detailed buying guide for you if you choose to buy a wifi router outside this list.
Things To Remember Before Buying A Wifi Router For A Two Story House- Buying Guide
1. Range of The Router:
The range is the most important factor for a router. Especially, for a two-story house. Because no one wants a slow connection or connection interruptions.
So, before buying a router you should focus on range. Always choose a router that has a minimum 800-1000 sq ft. more range than your house size. Because most routers don’t deliver what it’s advertised and having extra range will help you to get a connection even outside of your house. if you have another house like 1000-1500 sq ft house check our article best router for 1000 sq ft house.
Moreover, find out if your chosen router has range boosting and beamforming technology or not. These features will help you to get a strong and stable signal in every corner of your two-story house.
2. Built-in Security Features
Security is another crucial feature for a wifi router that most people overlook.
Cybersecurity is more important now than ever. Because identity theft and privacy violations is a common practice nowadays. So, having built-in security features in your router can help you prevent these threats in some measures.
Moreover, a well-secured router can save you a ton of money you spent on VPN and antivirus subscriptions.
3. Number of Bands
The number of bands of a router has a significant impact in terms of a stable connection.
Most modern routers are dual-band. The 2.4 GHz band can handle heavy traffic and waves can travel more distance. On the other hand, the 5 GHz band can provide a strong signal to nearby devices.
Dual-band routers are enough for day-to-day usage. But if you are a pro gamer or heavy user then you should consider a tri-band router.
4. Number of Antennas
Antennas are really important for a two-story house.
Most people think antennas are a gimmick feature of wifi routers. But in reality, antennas have an important impact. Because these antennas deliver wifi signals. If you need a good signal in a particular part just place one or two antennas in that direction.
So, before buying a router check if that router has enough antennas and they are moveable or not.
5. Advance Features like QoS and MIMO
MU-MIMO and QoS are modern features that will allow you to have an uninterrupted wifi network.
MU-MIMO helps to have a strong streamable connection on multiple devices. Again, QoS helps to manage strong uninterrupted signals for specific devices.
Now, let’s have a look at some of the frequently asked questions on routers for two-story houses.
This section will help you to clear your confusion and have a clear understanding.
1. Where should a router be placed in a two-story house?
The wifi router should be placed in a central place close to the ceiling. This way you can get uninterrupted signals on both floors. You should also direct your antennas to the direction you need more wifi signals.
2. Where should you not put a wireless router?
Avoid Microwaves and electronic devices. They will interrupt your wifi signal.
Metal objects can cause disruptions too.
3. Which router is best for a 2 floor house?
It totally depends on the usage and size of your house. But all the routers mentioned in this article are the best of their section. So, choose one according to your needs.
4. How do you get 2 floors on WiFi?
Try to buy a router with a range booster and beamforming technologies.
5. Is it better to have wifi router upstairs or downstairs?
It depends on where you need a strong wifi signal more. If you have your home office/workplace upstairs then place it on a center place on the food of your upstairs. But for overall performance, it’s suggested to place it close to your ceiling downstairs.
6. How can I boost my WIFI signal from thick walls?
It’s suggested to avoid thick walls. But if that’s not possible buy a router with a range booster feature or buy an extra wifi extender.
7. Do better routers have a better range?
Not always. The answer depends on your usage. Most expensive routers have their own set of expertise. So, a better expensive router sometimes might have a smaller range.
It’s always suggested to buy a router that has more range than your house.
8. How big of a WiFi router do I need?
In terms of routers, size does not matter. A big bulky router does not always have to be the best. Because sometimes smaller routers perform better. Focus on range, bands, performance ,and advanced features.
9. What is the best router for a lot of devices?
Google Nest Wifi 2 pack can handle up to 200 devices. If you have the budget and looking for a router for your small workplace/studio. Then this can be your best choice. But if you are short on budget then you can go for ASUS WiFi 6 Router (RT-AX3000). It can handle 30+ devices without any problem.
10. How do you get 2 floors on WiFi?
We have made this list in a way that anyone with a two-story house can choose a product according to their need. Every product has its own set of unique features. So, it’s hard for us to choose a specific product. So, we are going to give you two products of your choice.
- This product is chosen for its value for money tag and future proof features. Moreover,
- This product can provide you stable service with wifi 6 for years to come.
- It has an affordable price.
- RT-AX3000 can connect up to 30+ devices.
- Don’t worry about the 2500 sq ft. range. Because you can expand your range with any Asus product supporting AiMesh.
- It has all the advanced features and strong security.
- This product is chosen for its big range.
- It has beamforming technology.
- This router can handle 4000 sq ft.+ house.
- Mesh technology is better for old houses with thick walls.
These are the Best Routers for your two-story building in 2022. All of the products are intensely tested in our studio. Moreover, all of these products are available on Amazon with great customer reviews.
Stay tuned with us to know more cool products like these.