We all must have come across an ad that says wifi is dangerous and you should buy a wifi router guard to be safe. So, are wifi routers dangerous? Should you buy those wifi router guards? Well, you are about to find out. Because in this article, I’ll talk about whether wifi router is dangerous or not. If so, then how to get safe and where to place your router, and where not to? So, stick with me till the end.
Are Wifi Routers Dangerous?
No, wifi routers are not dangerous as they pose little or no health risk. On the contrary, routers provide you an extra layer of security and protect you from cyber attacks. So, why do people say it emits harmful radiation and can pose a health risk?
To be frank wifi routers do emit RF radiation. Routers do it to get connected to other nearby devices. However, the radiation emitted by routers do not pose a health risk. As there is no concrete evidence on this.
On the other hand, the router protection products you see are mostly gimmicky. But whether wifi radiation is harmful or not is still issue of debate. So, we need to dive deep to understand it fully.
Is It Safe To Sit Next To A Wireless Router?
Yes, it’s completely safe to sit next to a wireless router
Wireless routers emit low levels of radiofrequency EMF radiation. It is a type of non-ionizing radiation. According to the World Health Organization, RF radiation is “possibly carcinogenic to humans” based on studies of cell phone use.
However, the levels of RF radiation emitted by routers are typically much lower than those emitted by cell phones. So, if you can carry your smartphone with you all day then you can also sit beside a wireless router without worries
Can Wifi Cause Cancer?
No, Wifi does not cause cancer as there is no concrete evidence of it.
There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that WiFi causes cancer. Though the World Health Organization and the International Agency for Research on Cancer have stated that
“Radiofrequency radiation emitted by electronic devices can be carcinogenic to humans based on studies.”
However, the levels of RF radiation emitted by WiFi routers are typically much lower than the amount most light bulbs emit. Moreover, wifi radiation is non-ionizing. As a result, it becomes more harmless.
On the contrary, WHO clearly states that there is no convincing evidence that exposure to RF radiation from WiFi routers or other devices poses a cancer risk.
Furthermore, several studies have been conducted over the years to investigate a possible link between cancer and wireless internet. The majority of these studies have found no consistent evidence of an increased risk of cancer from exposure to RF radiation from WiFi or other wireless devices.
However, you should also keep in mind that research in this area is ongoing, and new studies may provide additional information on the potential health effects of WiFi and RF radiation.
What Is The Wifi Router Radiation Safe Distance?
Generally, the Wifi Router Radiation Safe Distance is 20 ft. However, if you want absolute assurance then you should keep a 30 ft. distance.
The safe distance for a wireless router to minimize exposure to RF radiation is still a subject of debate. As there is no universally agreed-upon safe distance.
However, some experts recommend keeping the router at least 20 feet (6 meters) away from where people spend the most time to reduce exposure. It’s important to note that the safe distance also depends on the power output of the router, the frequency of the signal, and the distance to the person.
As wifi signals are short-wave RF signals, they start to lose strength. Once they reach 20 ft, they become weak. This is also the reason why you lose wifi signal when you go far from the router.
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in the US sets safety limits for RF radiation emitted by wireless routers and other devices. These limits are based on guidelines from international health and safety organizations.
Moreover, the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) and the National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements (NCRP), and the FCC state that devices that meet their safety limits are considered safe for use.
So, you must check these certifications before purchasing a new router.
Is It Safe To Put Wifi Router In the Bedroom?
Yes, from a technical perspective, it’s safe to put wifi router in the bedroom. Because currently there is no scientific evidence that suggests wifi radiation can cause harm.
Though it’s safe to put wifi router in the bedroom. But it is not suggested to have a router in their bedroom. Because no matter how little the RF radiation or electromagnetic fields (EMFs) emitted by the router is. Wifi routers emit radiation. So, there is no denying that.
Moreover, having a router in a bedroom may also contribute to poor sleep quality. As routers have LED indicators that might cause sleep deprivation for sensitive people. On the other hand, keeping electronic devices in the bedroom is not suggested by experts.
Can We Keep Wifi Router In Bedroom?
Yes, you can keep wifi router in the bedroom. But you should only consider it when it’s absolutely necessary.
Whether or not to keep a router in a bedroom is a personal decision that depends on your needs. In general, it’s a good practice to keep your router as far away as possible from your bedroom.
As a network engineer, I would suggest you keep the router in a central location of the house. It would give you the strongest signal from every angle. Here, is a guideline on where to put your router. This will minimize exposure to RF radiation and EMF and also help you get a good signal in the bedroom.
On the other hand, If you must put your router in the bedroom then you may want to consider turning off your router at night.
How To Block Radiation From Wifi Router
Generally, you don’t need protection from wifi router. However, if you are really concerned here are several ways to reduce your exposure to the radiofrequency emitted by rout ers
- Keep the router as far away as possible from where you spend most of your time.
- Use RF-shielding materials, such as special paint, fabric, or curtains, to block the radiation from the router.
- Look for routers that are designed to emit low levels of EMF, these routers are available in the market.
- When not in use, turn off the router or unplug it to reduce your exposure to RF radiation.
- Connect devices to the internet using an Ethernet cable instead of a wireless connection.
- Put them in airplane mode when not in use to reduce exposure to RF radiation.
It’s important to note that while these measures may reduce your exposure to RF radiation from a WiFi router. But you won’t be completely free from RF. Because most electronic devices emit some sort of radiation.
Moreover, remember that the levels of radiation emitted by routers are generally considered to be very low and WHO states that it is not necessary to limit exposure to RF radiation from routers.
Now we know wifi routers are not dangerous. They just emit low radio frequency. You can even reduce the RF emission if you choose you router carefully. So, which routers emit low levels of EMF and RF?
Which Routers Emit Low Levels Of EMF And RF?
Based on my usage and research I will suggest two budget routers that emit less EMF And RF. They both follow IEEE standards and I have used them both. Here are the routers
Now let’s look at some details of both of the routers.
The TP-Link AX3000 WiFi 6
The TP-Link AX3000 WiFi 6 Router is a value-for-money router that offers solid performance and features at a budget price point.
- It supports WiFi 6 technology. With WiFi 6, users can expect faster download and upload speeds, better coverage, and improved capacity for handling multiple devices at once.
- The Archer AX55 features a 2×2 dual-band design, with speeds of up to 3 Gbps on the 5GHz band and 574Mbps on the 2.4GHz band.
- It has a Gigabit Ethernet port for wired connections, allowing users to connect devices such as gaming consoles, streaming devices, and PCs for faster-wired speeds.
- Additionally, the Archer AX55 also supports WPA3, the latest wireless encryption standard, providing a higher level of security for your wireless network.
- Lastly, it supports beamforming technology, which improves signal strength and performance by focusing the wireless signal directly on connected devices.
Things I liked About This Router
- It follows IEEE standards on low EMF and RF emission.
- It is a value-for-money product.
- The router is also easy to set up and manage using the TP-Link Tether app, which is available for both iOS and Android devices.
- Network settings, guest network, and parental controls can be done through the APP.
- It comes with QoS, and access to advanced settings like port forwarding and VPN.
Things I Disliked About This Router
- It has a limited range, so users with larger homes or thick walls may experience weaker signals in certain areas of the house.
Getting a low RF and EMF emission router at this price point is rare. So, the TP-Link AX3000 WiFi 6 Router is a solid option for those looking for an affordable router and a decent set of features. It is suitable for most home users and provides fast speeds, good coverage, and easy management.
NETGEAR Nighthawk R6700- AC1750 Smart Wi-Fi Router
The NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi Router R6700 is a powerful yet versatile router that offers a good balance of performance and features for its price point.
- The R6700 features a dual-band design, with speeds of up to 1750Mbps on the 5GHz band and 450Mbps on the 2.4GHz band.
- It also has four Gigabit Ethernet ports for wired connections, allowing users to connect devices such as gaming consoles, streaming devices, and PCs for faster-wired speeds.
- It supports beamforming technology, which improves signal strength and performance by focusing the wireless signal directly on connected devices.
- Nighthawk AC1750 Smart Wi-Fi Router has a 1 core processor that can cover 1500 sq. ft. with 25 device support.
Things I liked About This Router
- Substantially Low EMF radiation.
- The router is also easy to set up and manage using the NETGEAR Nighthawk App, which is available for both iOS and Android devices.
- It has Dynamic Quality of Service (QoS) for optimized gaming and streaming.
- The R6700 also supports WPA2, the latest wireless encryption standard, providing a higher level of security for your wireless network. Additionally,
- It also has built-in VPN support and parental controls.
Things I Disliked About This Router
- One of the main drawbacks of the R6700 is that it doesn’t support the latest Wi-Fi 6 technology, so if you have devices that support Wi-Fi 6, it won’t get the full benefit of them.
The NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi Router R6700 (AC1750) is a solid option for those who wants a good balance of performance and features with low EMF emssion. It is also suitable for most home users and provides fast speeds, good coverage, easy management.
Generally speaking wifi routers are not dangerous in any ways. Because the RF and EMF emission by the routers are lower than almost all moden electronic devices. Moreover, the router emission is non-ionic. So, there is no chance of serious health hazard.
However, we can not deny that routers do emit RF and EMF. So, if you are still concerned about radiation then either follow the instructions on how to block router radiation or get a low emssion router.